Monday, December 6, 2010

Out with the old, in with the new!

Out with the:


In with the:

I thought I would hop on here and post the newest kitchen crazy thing we have decided to do, mostly so I can be held accountable! We are getting rid of our microwave. This decision came about from a few reasons. First being, lack of counter space for all the other appliances we use, it also really limited our access to the only outlet in our kitchen. Also, we really didn't use it that often, pretty much just for reheating left overs. And lastly for keeping more nutrition in our food. I love how quick microwaves are for reheating leftovers but I also want those leftovers to have all the possible nutrition in it that a leftover could possibly still have. And I will admit I did rely on the convince of pushing a few buttons to get my food warm several times a week.

We also found that we were hauling our kitchen aid out of the garage several times a week, and that thing is heavy. I was so scared I would drop it one time and take my foot off or break the dear thing! And as you can see in the above photo we can now access the outlet and have room for our second favorite appliance - a Cuisine Art. We just fell in love with this one recently as it was just given to us as a gift, it replaced our old off brand food processor - and yes this is a plug for Cuisine Art, if you can afford it (or have a wonderful friend wanting to give you one) get it! We are actually thinking of ditching our blender as well because this baby can do a smoothy better and is easier to clean.

We haven't gotten rid of any of our old appliances yet, they are living in the garage for a while in case we get desperate for a quickly warmed leftover but I think a craigs list posting is in our near future!......Any one in the market for a microwave, food processor or blender???? They would make great Christmas presents for your favorite college student!

3 comments:

T & K said...

That's awesome! We've been 'without' a microwave for I don't know how long now (around one-two years). It's tough the first few weeks when you turn to throw something in the microwave and it isn't there! The kitchen aid is much better to have out anyway! You'll have to show me how the Cuisinare works next time I'm over. : )

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!! Microwaves ruin the nutrients in food! The only thing I use ours for is to warm my rice bag.
Your Mama :-}

Anonymous said...

My parents keep a microwave in the garage and use it occationally, but it is out of the way. Might be an idea. I'm not at the point in my life where I could live without it, but I can see the point. Keep your most used appliances within easy reach -- it is a great idea. -- Alysun