Sunday, January 2, 2011

sandwich bread of tastiness

Jeff here, I have been asked by a few people for my sandwich bread recipe. It is based off this recipe.

Whole Wheat flour (from the Peters) 1 lb 4 oz ~about 4 cups
Vital Wheat Gluten 2 Tbsp
instant Yeast 1 Tbsp
Honey (from Flemings) 2 Tbsp
Eggs (farm fresh, really important) 1
Canola Oil 1 Tbsp
Milk 4 Cups (you can use water, if so add some dry milk to the 'dry' stuff, whatever the right amount is.)
All Purpose Flour 1 lb 13 oz ~ about 6 cups (I sometimes do about 1 lb WW flour and 13 oz AP flour with a teaspoon more of gluten)
1 Tbsp salt canning/pickling salt (1.5 Tbsp table salt)
some room temp butter

Put salt aside in a small dish.
heat milk to 100 to 110 degrees. Add the honey to the milk.
In a big bowl mix the first flour, vital wheat gluten, yeast, egg and oil.
Add the milk and honey to the big bowl of dry stuff. Mix and mix in the rest of the flour.
Knead for about 6 minutes, if using a KitchenAid knead for around 2-3 minutes (I'm guessing, I like to feel it). It should be very tacky, but not sticky.
Let the dough rest covered on the counter for about 20 minutes. I like to use my 20 minutes to read a book to the girls. This 20 is really cool, it lets the flour absorb moisture and makes the dough less tacky ( autolyse is the fancy word).
Flatten the dough on counter and sprinkle half the salt on it, knead it a few times then add the rest. You shouldn't be able to feel the salty grit...maybe 7-9 minutes.

Put dough back in bowl and cover with damp tea (not terrycloth) towel. Let the dough rise till doubled in size. If the room can be 65-75 degrees you will do well. This should take about 2 hours (so cuddle up to a movie with your spouse, a Kung Fu movie really helps bread rise).

Once risen put it back on floured counter and flatten so that the big gas bubbles pop (in the bread silly).
Roll into 3 loaves (about 1.5 lbs each). You can go to YouTube and search for "shaped sandwich loaves" for the best way to do this...I can't really explain how I get it other than roll it up with few drops of water on the inside.
Grease your loaf pan with butter and put loaves in seam side down. cover with the damp tea towel and let rise for about 45-60 minutes. (use this time to go online and order "Bread Bakers Apprentice" by Reinhart, it is amazing)
Bake @ 375 for 35 minutes. It should drop out of the pan easily. Knock on the bottom and if it sounds hollow you are good. If you want more security take the internal temp, it should be around 195. Let rest for 40 minutes before cutting or your bread will feel insulted and be all ripped up inside.

since you made three loaves, deliver on to a friend. or you can freeze it for later use...or you can make more later.

I figure this cost is somewhere near $1.50/ loaf, I've never calculated it out.

Few tips,
I went to the grocery story and asked the bakery for a bucket, it is 3.5 gal and works great for the 'big bowl'. Plus then you and just put the lid on rather tan use a towel.
I always add a tich of Ginger to the dry stuff at the beginning, it kick starts the yeast (i don't know why).
The ginger, egg, and honey act as preservatives. You can cut out the canola and add another egg yolk (or whole egg).
I like to measure with the Tbsp in this order yeast, Salt, oil, honey (use one Tbsp, and the honey slides right out into your milk.)
If you need pictures let me know and I will add them next time I bake.

Well, there you go, please mess around with this and make it your own and let me know how much better yours is so I can steal your ideas.

1 comment:

Jason and Terra said...

Yummmm. Thanks for the recipe! I have been doing my sourdough for a few months now and needed a good sandwich bread to add in! :) It is delish and my hubby can't stop eating it right out of the oven (don't know if the first loaf will even make it to see any pb&j!).